Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for persistent neck, chest and arm pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 686 Questions
For over 8 weeks I have had a number if symptoms in my head - throbbing electrical-type pain in back of head, right ear ringing, behind both eyes are very sore (not double vision but at times eyes are unfocused and sore to move them around), right side of face and neck is sore both above and below ear, vein above ear feels swollen and pulsating, ache in jaw when chewing, arms are weak and sore. I also have very low appetite and have lost approx 18 pounds. In the past few days my appetite has been a bit better. I am also extremely fatigued. I had a negative head and neck MRI AND CT scan. My SED AND CRP is normal, I was told that it wasn't Polymyalgia Rheumatica or Giant Cell Arteritis because of the SED test and my age. I have had some other standard blood work done, which was ok too (platelet count a touch high but has been before). My ophthalmologist has looked at my eyes twice so far and can't see anything. I was also checked out by the cardiac centre because my pulse has been high and was having chest pain occasionally along with arm pain. Heart was fine. I have a bit of plaque in carotid arteries - found through Doppler ultrasound. I have large gallstones and have had issues with that lately too. I am wondering what it can be and what else I can do?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Eris Ranxha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should wait

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for the symptoms you have suffered
I was wondering if you have been checked by a neurologist?Was the neurological examination fine, normal?
Dear as your clinical symptoms aren't related with a specific system but seems those of an systemic dysfunction my advise is to wait some more weeks
In my opinion things which need to be done right now are: abdomen ultrasound, ENMG and schedule a neurological check because neurological examination can give information about the suffering part of the body
Hope my answer will help in the right diagnostics
Don't hesitate to contact me for further questions
Please send me the result of examinations I asked
Best regards
Dr Eris Ranxha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for persistent neck, chest and arm pain 6 hours later
Thanks for the response. I have not yet been checked out by a Neurologist. Because the MRI was normal, it is very difficult to get further service. In XXXXXXX Canada it is a very difficult and long wait time to see a specialist for a first referral. I recently moved to a small city also. I parted ways with my family doctor (which i only had for 8 months) over this illness. He thought it was just muscle pain in the neck causing all the head issues, but i insisted I have had muscle pain before and have never had these symptoms. I have an ENT appointment at end of November - but a recent hearing test was normal also. I'm wondering if an ENMG is the same as an EMG? Would the Mri show anything useful to a Neurologist if the result was normal according to the radiologist? Thanks for your time.
Answered by Dr. Eris Ranxha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clinical evaluation

Detailed Answer:
ENMG is EMG + ENG (means muscle and nerve test)
In my opinion a neurological exam will give you the certain that your symptoms aren't related with a neuromuscular disease
The MRI has ruled out any brain damage but there are a lot of other neurologic disorder which are diagnosed by clinical evaluation and laboratory tests
Schedule an appointment with a neurologist or at least do ENMG
Hope my advices will be helpful to you
Dr Eris
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor