Suggest treatment for persistent nausea, headaches and pins and needles sensation

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,

I've been experiencing nausea on and off since March this year. Other symptoms include headaches or a dull pressure on the left side of my head. I also sometimes get pins and needles in my left arm/hand. I also feel discomfort in my left eye - like there's an irritant in it but it's not red. I've also been feeling malaise - like my body is fighting an infection - this has been the most persistent sympton since then. This symptoms come and go. More recently the nausea and headaches have been more persistent for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

I've been tested for Malaria, Mono, HIV, dengue. I've had a host of blood work done. All results have come back clear. I had an ecg which was normal. I've had an ultrasound of the abdomen to check for an enlarged spleen related to a possibility of mono. I have the ebv but the spleen was normal. The ultrasound found a liver hemangioma but I was told it's probably nothing to worry about except to check back in a couple months just to be sure. I've had stool samples taken. The results showed I have blastocystis hominis. I went onto antibiotics (metronidazole) but the side effects of stomach pain were unbearable and I stopped the antibiotics after 3 days.

I've seen 6 different GP's without any one finding a definitive answer to my symptoms. I saw a tropical disease specialist and he couldn't think of anything at the time (2 months ago) that might cause these symptoms.

I'm unsure what other avenues to explore.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Would like to get a brain scan done.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your details and it is good to note that most infections have been excluded. However, it is unfortunate that your symptoms are still persisting.

In view of headache, left-sided arm tingling and nausea, I would like to get a brain scan done, preferably an MRI scan. This would exclude any structural lesion such as infection, clotting of blood in brain veins, tumor (very rare), etc.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

I will book an mri. I did have an mri back in July 2011 for similar symptoms. I have hires jpeg's of the mri scan if that's helpful in any way.

I should have also mentioned the fatigue. I have barely enough energy to make it through the day. I'm an active person - I would play soccer or run 3 or 4 times a week. I recovered briefly in April and was able to run around for a week or two. Once the fatigue returned I haven't had the energy to do strenuous activity since then. Climbing a flight of stairs can be taxing. I'm getting enough sleep each night, taking melatonin to help me fall into a deeper sleep. I've been taking vitamin b12 supplements to count out low b12. My diet is quite consistent. I eat mainly fresh fruit and vegetables and occasionally eat fish(once every two weeks). I stopped drinking alcohol 3 months ago to eliminate any toxins that might be hindering my recovery.

Are there any other areas of expertise that would be worth considering for an opinion?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seeing a neurologist would help.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back and providing more information.

It may be worthwhile repeating the MRI, as the last MRI was done three years ago.

You should see a neurologist, who may be able to look at all the possible reasons, including chronic fatigue syndrome and provide you with management plans.

Your diet and nutritional supplements, including vitamin B12, are fine. Please continue them.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)