Suggest treatment for persistent nausea and diarrhea

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: Hi. This is a little crazy but I had a dream my appendix was going to burst. I've been taking steroids and a lot of medication for temporal arteritis, and I also take laxative a lot, with all sorts of abdominal issues. I have had nausea for several weeks, off and on and have lost a lot of weight. I have sort of vague pain in my lower intestines, as if I am going to have diarrhea a lot. Is any of this significant? Should I bring anything to my doctor's attention? Was that dream just insane? I hadn't thought of appendicitis. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ypu don't have problems with your appendix.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I read your symptoms and I my answer is as follows:

I don't think that there is any problem with your appendix with the symptoms that you describe.

Inflamated appendix (appendicitis) has these symptoms: pain in the right lower abdominal quadrant, nausea, fever, anorexia. The abdomen is tender and gives a lot of pain when you touch it.

Any particular reason why you are taking a lot of laxatives?
One of the main functions of laxatives is increasing the bowel movement (when a bowel moves faster than normal,we have pain)
This is why you have nausea and pain in the lower intestine part.Also you can lose weight because of laxatives. Since the food passes faster in the intestine the body can't absorb everything and that is why you are losing weight.

You should consult your doctor about the dose of laxatives for my opinion because i think that with a lower dose and diet you will not have any problems with your stools.

If you have any other question,don't hesitate to contact me.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj