Suggest treatment for persistent mucus build up in the nose

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My nose is constantly filling with hard crusted mucus that builds up immediately. Since this started over a month ago, I steam shower regularly and use a nasal irrigation system. I have also tried decongestants, peppermint essential oil and bag balm. Nothing helps.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This will require further investigation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Start a mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine). Anti-allergic medication may help but may increase the dryness.

2. A nasal examination should be done, if possible with a nasal endoscopy. Any condition causing nasal obstruction (such asa deviated nasal septum or nasal turbinate hypertrophy) or a very open nose (such as atrophic rhinitis) should be noted.

3. It is important to rule out nasal vestibulitis. A nasal swab should be sent for bacterial and fungal culture.

4. A saline nasal spray (such a Physiomer) can be used. Steroid nasal sprays can be started after infection has been ruled out or under antibiotic cover.

5. Other rare conditions will require direct consultation and examination.

6. Upload images of the endoscopy for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.