Suggest treatment for persistent lower back pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: What does my findings mean : I'm prescribed meloxicam

Narrative     

Lumbar spine series and sacroiliac joints

Reason for exam (from ordering provider):pt has had > 8 weeks low back and lower hip pain on left; completed 5 weeks PT and had some improvement but doing normal work activity caused pain to get severe again

History: Generalized lower back pain extending to both hips for several months.

4 views of the lumbar spine and 3 views of the sacroiliac joints were obtained. There are 5 lumbar type segments. The lumbar vertebral body heights and disc space heights are preserved. There is minimal degenerative change of the L5-S1 facet joints. There is minimal degenerative sclerosis of the sacroiliac joints. The sacroiliac joints are patent bilaterally.

Impression     

Minimal degenerative change.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
mild degenerative change at the level of L5-S1 only

Detailed Answer:
The report of your MR scan suggests mild degenerative change at the level of L5-S1 only. It occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis. in your case the disc space is preserved. No disc herniation is seen.
For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises in which you have to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc.
- Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
- Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
- Change your daily activities so that you avoid movements that can cause further pain, especially bending forward and lifting as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed.
- Use a lumbosacral back support to stabilize your spinal muscles

- After the initial pain has subsided, remedial exercises to strengthen the spine are very important to restore normal spinal movements and muscle strength. The main aim of exercise is to encourage mobility, reduce muscle spasm, prevent further deterioration in the muscles and speed recovery.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal