Suggest treatment for persistent low grade fever

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I am a 43 years old male from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I have been suffering from a low grade fever ranging from 99-100 deg.F for last two weeks(since 16.09.2015). As on date I have no symptoms other than fever except slight chills. Fever is increased in day time(between 99.5-100) and decreased in late evening since morning. I have consulted with 3 doctors in XXXXXXX and undergone several blood, urine test and usg abdomen. No significant abnormality detected so far.
Since no abnormality has been detected in several tests, I am afraid. I heard that one of the most prominent HIV infections is persistent low grade fever which does not respond to medicine.
Please note that I do not have any sexual exposure, blood transfusion etc. only I got Dental treatment (cleaning and cavity filling ) on 13.09.2015 and my fever has started since 16.09.2015 till date.
I got HIV antibody test on 25.09.2015 which is non-reactive. However, I learnt that initial infection can not be detected in test. Now my question is :
1)     How probable that this fever is due to recent HIV infection which I might have got from dental clinic since there is no other symptom than fever and no significant detection in tests like CBC, Malaria, dengue, typhoid, urine test & culture, usg abdomen etc.
2)     If infected, how much time fever will take to subside?
3)     What should be my next course of action?
PLEASE HELP
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV possibility is exceedingly low to nil....

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern for this persistent low grade fever. In a very remote possibility where you were instrumented immediately following HIV positive patient, chance of HIV infection is nil.

1. HIV virus is a very fragile organism. It dies almost within few seconds when exposed to external environment. Therefore only in a circumstance where those dental cleaning and filling instrument was used on a HIV positive patient, the infected patient bled on those instruments and the same was used immediately (within 15 second), we can consider a remote possibility of HIV.
I am sure you will now realize with so many factors against HIV, you are unlikely to be infected by this virus.

It's good that you been evaluated and routine investigations are done and normal. If the fever continues to persists beyond a week or two, I will suggest that further investigation are done by internist / infectious disease specialist.

2. I am very much positive that this isn't HIV. In general though fever due to HIV in the initial stages may last for a week or two. It can recur again at a later stage.

3. Your next steps of action depend on the symptoms after 3 weeks. If symptoms persist, it is best that you visit an internist / infectious disease specialist. You might require more tests.

Hope this answered your question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Thank you for your kind reply.
I am considering this aspect because fever has started after three days of dental work.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
I wouldn't consider HIV from this source....

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern. But I won't consider HIV infection from this source as the cause of the ongoing problem.

If your symptoms persist for a week or two more, we can investigate further.

Hope I am clear. I will be free to answer your questions if any.