Suggest treatment for persistent loose motion and vomiting

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
My niece was hospitalized two days back for frequent Vomiting and loose motion.,after she was discharge she got a epilepsy (seizure).She is not having any food and we have discharged her today morning. I have attached her reports. Kindly let me know the details Pls.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try to coax her to eat

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and have checked the attached documents. Vomiting can be followed by nausea and that may make the child poorly feed. You have to reassure the child and try to make her eat. There is no shortcut available. Do not try to forcefeed the child. Continue the medicines as directed.

Give her plenty of water and fluids to drink. This is important.

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 hours later
Doctor has advised to take frizium 5mg , if she gets fever (Febrille episode) for the first two days until she is 5 years old. Is this sufficient? Her Temperature when she got seizures was just 99.9 degree Fahrenheit. Initially, low sodium levels, was predicted to be the cause, but the reports show normal sodium levels. So did she get convulsions (Febrille episode ) because of high temperature, low sodium levels or could there be any other reason?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a second opinion

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Frisium is the right medicine but unless there are definite neurological indications, it does not need to be continued for such prolonged durations. It would be better if you get a second opinion on this. Could you please specify how low the sodium level was? Electrolyte imbalance could be contributory and so could febrile seizures, but a detailed and thorough evaluation and clinical correlation is needed.