Suggest treatment for persistent leg and hand cramps

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 6 Jul 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: leg and hand cramps night &day
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following measure will help-

Detailed Answer:

Cramps are painful spasms in a muscle and are often caused by overuse, dehydration, or nutritional deficiencies.
Following measure will help-
*Drink fluid-An electrolyte imbalance can be the cause of muscle spasms, so rehydrating with an electrolyte drink can help restore balance.
*Stretch the affected muscle with a mild, static stretch.
*Use ice to numb the pain in a cramp, reducing inflammation and allowing the muscle to relax.
*Bring the affected muscle into a relaxed position and apply direct compression to the cramp.
*Foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit may be helpful in relieving muscle cramps

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.