Suggest treatment for persistent knee pain

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 18 Oct 2016 in General Health
Question: In continuation to my last query which you did not answer back, giving my respond to your message again, please feedback.

Do you have knee pain? How often?
- I would say not pain, but some discomfort at times but rarely and that to tends to go away after taking exercise- which is mainly doing a cross trainer

Do you have pain in the front of the knee of climbing stairs?
- Not pain, but I would say stress on the knee yes, its not normal that is for sure. But I cannot run like a month back, if I do so the knee will hurt, now I haven't tried jogging again

Any difficulty in straightening the knee?
- No difficulty at all

Any knee pain while squatting or cross leg sitting?
- No, infact I always do a bit of squatting exercise

Avoid climbing stairs or uphill in treadmill or cross trainer.
- Stairs is like 3 stairs daily because, 2 for room, 1 for office. No treadmill. Cross trainer for about 15 - 20 minutes daily burning 250 - 300 cal

Perform quadriceps strengthening exercises static.
- I do it daily; which is sitting up in a chair, putting leg straight in the air and moving the ankle in 4 different ways

Apply ice to the affected region. Take Calcium supplements. Perform warm up before any exercise.
- This I haven't done any

Additional info: I believe the pain on my right knee has been around for more than a year, because I believe the cause is while I was playing football, once a ball hits my right foot like really really hard while I was not ready in inside out direction while my leg was in the air, hurting my knee immediately but I did did continue to play. After that also I did continue to play all the sports, but I think there were some discomforts.
But it's worse last 5 months while I was playing badminton when I cannot move around the court,as the knee was hurting.

I do quite often for a number of years kneeling down after dinner, sometimes for an hour, but not on hard surfaces. But have to mention its not regular and I have not been doing this at least for 6 months now

The knee joints will click or jolted, just as we press our fingers joints, which feels good for some reason

Now the left knee is also starting to feel the same way, for about a month now

I have been working out in the gym- main stress is by the cross trainer, for about 2 months now. I think the pain is improving and definitely is much relieved after working out, could be mental but I think its because of my body is warmed up then.

............
.....................................
incase you want to refer the first message from you:

Brief Answer:
Please detail about your problem and request you to answer my questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Do you have knee pain? How often?

Since you have read about Runners knee, I need not brief much on that. I would like to talk about the other causes of knee pain like meniscus cartilage damage, stress fractures, overuse syndromes etc.

Avoid climbing stairs or uphill in treadmill or cross trainer. Perform quadriceps strengthening exercises static. Apply ice to the affected region. Take Calcium supplements. Perform warm up before any exercise.

These can be a cause of your problem so it would be helpful if you would take the time to answer my questions, and I shall help rule out your diagnosis and suggest an appropriate treatment plan.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be early arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Since both knees feel a bit stiff, do get examined for early arthritis with Xray in standing position. Also blood tests to rule out other causes of arthritis like ESR, CRP, S. Uric acid will be useful.

Avoid any movements that stiffen your joints. Find out if hot or cold fomentation helps to relieve the symptoms.

Follow up with me thereafter.

Thanks and regards.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T