Suggest treatment for persistent joint pain, fever, abdominal pain and fatigue

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi my name is xxxx. I have picked up something, don't know what it is. I will outline everything. At a baseball game about 3 weeks ago, noticed I had been bit or stung by something, on my finger. Bite had fluid in it, looked like pus and a darker substance, which I squeezed out. Yesterday, I had general malaise, today is much worse. Woke up with a headache and stomach ache, these are continuing thru the day. Also have a lot of congestion, and abnormal pain in right knee, back and neck. Finally, have red spots developing on back of wrists. Ibuprofen seems to help with the pain somewhat. Don't know if any of these are connected. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This sounds like Lyme disease

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX your cluster of symptoms are classic for Lyme disease and you were likely bitten by a tick. The rash, joint pain, and flu-like symptoms can occur anywhere from 3 days to a month after the bite.

Fortunately, this is early on in the disease cycle and you can be successfully treated with a course of oral Doxycycline.

See a doctor right away for blood work to confirm Lyme, but, were I your doctor, even though I would order the blood work, I'd still start you immediately on the doxycycline.

Please let me know if you need to discuss this any further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D