Suggest treatment for persistent influenza and bronchitis

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had flu-like syymptoms for going on 1 week. After 2 immediate care center visits (MD's) and a visit to my primary care physician, all think it is influenza. My PCP indicated I could now have a bronchitis that developed secondarily to influenza, so he put me on Augmentin. I have not had any relief. From last Thursday--> Sunday I was waking up in the middle of the night: hot and uncomfortable with fever/chills. Now, I am sleeping through the night, however I wake up very uncomfortable. Hot, malaise, discomfort, pain. Pain is mostly around my head. After taking 600 mg motrin and 1000 mg Tylenol, I wait about 2 hours until I get relief. I have missed a few days of work and am nervous that I will have to miss more. This is the longest I have ever had the flu since I can remember. I have a cough only when lying down and am noticing more discharge. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your treatment is appropriate and aggressve!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information and the current treatment. Considering the infection and all possible complications, you are so well covered. The only thing is that the body recovers to different extents with each infection. This is slow and seems a lot more severe than previous attacks. However, your treatment is okay and I will not be adding anything at this time. I will call on you to exercise more patience, get more rest and make sure you eat healthy. If possible do some light exercises everyday to boost up the body and hasten healing.

I hope this helps and reassures you that all will be fine. I wish you well and always available to address any concerns that you may have.

Kind regards!