Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for persistent high fevers with racing hearts

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
My friend has been having persistent high fevers for the last six months and in this time, rarely has she been within normal range. She has seen an Internal Specialist, Lung Specialist, Neurologist, Cardiologist and had an MRI, Pet Scan and other tests and blood tests. The only test she is awaiting the results is the 24 hour urine test to check something in relation to her adrenal glands I think. She is very tired, gets dizzy, has a racing heart rate at times, her blood pressure can drop upon standing (I think)
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your friend's medical condition.

Some of the symptoms you have described do suggest the possibility of a rare adrenal problem called Pheochromocytoma. It is typically a benign tumor that produces excess of 'adrenaline-type' hormones that result in various symptoms such as : heart racing, blood pressure fluctuations and episodes of sweating/chest pain/shortness of breath.

The test that is most likely been ordered for your friend is a 24 hour urinary fractionated catecholamines and metanephrines.

Some medications may interfere with this test and I am sure the treating doctors are aware of this.

An endocrinologist is best equipped to manage this condition.

I would also like to believe that as part of the comprehensive testing your friend has underwent, the following tests have also already been performed and found to be essentially normal:

Complete Blood Count
Liver function tests

And if there is a reason to suspect adrenal insufficiency, then there is a blood test called serum cortisol that needs to be done at 8 am in the morning
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor