Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for persistent high body temperature

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 631 Questions

My 1.5 year baby (boy) is experiencing high body temperature since last night. 1st - last night, 2nd- morning, 3rd - evening. Each time it subsided when we gave him crocin syrup. Primariliy his head and back seem to be hot. His temperature was around 99-100 F when we took his temperature. Other than body heat there is no other symptoms and he is pretty active and in good spirits.
Please let me know if we can do anything else and if he needs further checkups. He also had shown irritation in his gums over padt few days. Can this be linked to his teething. Thanks.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query.
If he appears well and is taking fluids, there's no need to call the doctor unless the fever persists for more than 24 hours or is very high.

Fever can be a symptom of mild infections, such as a cold, flu, stomach bug most of them are viral and are self limiting.

Teething does not cause fever.

Another important thing is that, fever between the range 99 to 100 F should not be treated as high fever, actually it might be normal body tempreture variation.

Give paracetamol (crocin) only if fever crosses 100F mark.

Mild fever is actually beneficial to restrict the growth of infective agent in the body(if any).

In short wait for 2 to 3 days if everything is normal (except fever), child is playful, eating well. Give crocin only if fever rises above 100F.

Hope i answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor