• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent herpes while on Valtrex

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have an herpes outbreak for more than 9 month and Valtrex does not stop it, what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can't do much...

Detailed Answer:

there are no real alternative in such cases. I suppose you're talking about shingles because this is the most commonly prolonged disease. Valtrex 1 gr three times per day is the right dosage. The duration of treatment is between 7 and 10 days.

If it's not going away or getting better then confirmation of the diagnosis might be a helpful first step. PCR is the best test (most sensitive and specific). If the diagnosis is confirmed then you just have to be patient. Famciclovir 500mg three times per day can be tried but it's a very similar drug to valtrex.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
But i am doing it for many month and the outbreak continues, anything else to try?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sorry no alternatives...

Detailed Answer:
I'm sorry but there are no alternative treatments. Acyclovir, valacyclovir and famciclovir are all similar drugs and there are no other drug classes against this virus. Shingles may have a prolonged course. Only symptomatic treatment can be given (painkillers of various types and perhaps anti-depressive and anti-convulsants for serious pain).

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis