Suggest treatment for persistent headaches

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Sir,

I am suffering from terrible headache since last 3 months. The only thing which i have observed is that while moving my head from either left to right or right to left i am getting clicking sound. Its not coming from neck but its coming from head. Please help me to find the reason for this clicking sound.

Note that i was having clicking sound from TMJ while opening mouth from since last 1 year on both left & right side. I did X-Ray of open & close mouth even MRI of open & close mouth @ same time. X-ray is showing Lower jaw is not properly opening & closing for left & right side but MRI is showing no abnormality. After consulting with a doctor, there is no clicking sound from left joint but clicking from Right jaw is happening rarely. Can you please help me why there is difference between X-ray & MRI.
Which report i have to consider for my TMJ.

Also, please let me know clicking sound from head while moving head from right to left or left to right, whether is it coming from TMJ. Note that earlir i was getting clicking sound from TM joint itself in mouth opening position but now i am getting clicking sound from head while moving it from R to L & L to R.

I am getting severe headache from bottom of head (i.e. part of head starting above neck) towards temple & forehead. I am doing yoga as well but not getting relief in headache.

Please help me to find the reason for clicking sound from head & also suggest the reports which i needs to do for the same. I am not getting time from office hours to visit a doctor as i joined the company newly.

Please help me soon as headache is unbearable. My life is impacting because of this.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
From all the history you have given, it appears to me that you have cervical spondylosis. It is a postural disease. You might be having a sitting Job. It is more in patients with calcium deficiency. The TMJ complaints are one of its presenting complaints.
Please get a x-ray cervical spine done and send me the pictures
Start taking calcium supplements daily.
Also take a muscle relaxant for few days.
Avoid pillow use.
Don't chew very hard things like nuts for few days.
Do cervical exercise but avoid any heavy exercises.
Any further questions are always welcome
Thanksand regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 23 hours later
Hi Mam,,

Thanks for your reply.

Apart to this symptoms, i have some more symptoms.

(1) Facial swelling on left side.
(2) While opening mouth widely, my left side of the face is deviated towards up direction & while crying right side of the face is deviated towards down. I have used splint but no improvement in deviation of the face.

X-ray of open & close mouth showing Left & right jaw not closing or opening properly but M.R.I. of Jaw - open & close mouth is normal.

(3) I am having sinus problem as well but the ENT specialist is saying its normal Sinus issue which cant cause a bad headache.
(4) In sinus xray , one more thing is noted that my right side teeths are showing deviated towards down direction.

TMJ doctor is saying its sinus issue & ENT doctor is saying its TMJ issue.

Can you please confirm the which problem i am having for my headache, Left side swelling on the face & facial pain.

I have started to took Gemcal Capsules as Calcium Supplement from yesterday night onwards.
Brief Answer:
Cervical spondylosis with facial paresis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information
You have mentioned now that you have facial swelling and facial deviation with TMJ problem.
In my opinion this is facial paresis due to some parotid disease. Your complaints are pointing towards a completely different scenario. You are probably suffering from some parotid disease like an adenoma or some cyst or can be malignant also. Please visit an ENT SPECIALIST immediately because this needs to be investigated and managed as early as possible.
Your neck pain and other symptoms you have mentioned earlier are due to cervical spondylosis only and can be managed in due course of time but facial paresis is an emergency.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana