Suggest treatment for persistent gastric pain

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had gas pains for 6 days I am taking
Prilosec and ranitidine. Food just does not stay in my system especially at dinner time
It all goes right through me

Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly consult a doctor for increase in the dose of Prilosec and get an ECG

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to HCM.
I am Dr. Riyanka Chail, glad to be answering your query.

Firstly i would like to comment that you are taking H2 blockers (Ranitidine) - which decreases Hydrochloric acid production in the stomach as well as a Proton pump inhibitor Omeprazole (Prilosec) for gastric reflux problems.

Kindly consult a physician as instead of taking ranitidine and omeprazole i would suggest that increase in the dose of Omeprazole would give you better relief. Also remember this medication should be taken orally atleast half an hour before breakfast in the morning , only then it works at its best.

Also kindly take supportive measures like:
1. Have a bland diet .
2. Drink mild cold fluids instead of warm beverages.
3. Drink lots of water.
4. Donot immediately lie down after a meal. Instead have a walk and sit.
5. Have your dinner minimum two hours before bed time.
6. Avoid very sour foods.

Going by your age, if the gastric pains are persistent for 6 days i would suggest you to consult a physician immediately and get an ECG done to rule out any cardiac problems as sometimes cardiac problems do cause gastric pains too.

Hope this answers your query .
Get well soon.
Take Care.
Dr.Riyanka
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Riyanka Chail