Suggest treatment for persistent fungal infection on groin area and armpits

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Dr,
I have been having fungal infection almost all of my body.Its severe in my groin area and all the sweaty areas. Once I consulted a specialist where he suggested clostat b lotion as well as a few tablets in azole group. It was completely cured once i used the medicines but then it reappeared as the medicine course was over. I still use lotions like candid b or clostat b but it only gives temporary cure

What should i do now to get over it permanently

Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start with tablet terbinafine and sertaconazole cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcaremagic
I can understand your concern.
I have seen the attached photograph. You should not apply candid b or clostat b cream as it contains mild steroid and will cause temporary improvement followed by worsening of the infection. You haven't mentioned which azole group tablet have you taken as their are many drugs in azole group with various efficacy and for how long??
You can now start with tablet terbinafine 250 mg twice daily along tablet levocetrizine 5 mg daily. Also use ketoconazole soap for bathing and apply sertaconazole cream twice dailly on the affected areas. This should be continued for 4 weeks and then revert back to me as treatment will have to be continued for a long period.
Also avoid sharing of soap and towel, keep your body dry, stay in cool and airy environment and wear loose cotton clothes.
I hope to have answered your queries.
Wish you speedy recovery.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Thanks,
I was using fluconazole tablet and there were also a few other tablets but i lost the prescription so i dont remember the names. I used it once in a week for 5 weeks. He also gave me a cream called Daktarin gel which was not effective.
Also can you mention when should i have the tablets like before or after food,and also what could have been the cause of my disease.
Is it possible for me to contact you again after 4 weeks as it says here that the discussion close in 2 days.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medicines have to be taken after meals, yes you can contact me after 4 week

Detailed Answer:
Fluconazole is not very effective these days as most of the fungi have developed resistance to it. You should take tablet terbinafine 250 mg in the morning after breakfast and one at night after dinner with water. Levocetrizine is for itching and should be taken at night after dinner and if you experience severe itching then it could be taken in the morning as well.
Tinea infection is very common and it can be contacted from some friend or relative by sharing their clothes or soap, from the floor if the organism is present on the floor and even in persons living in hot humid weather as they flourish in such environment.
Yes you can contact me after 4 weeks and then we can discuss further line of treatment.
Good luck for now
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 days later
Hi Dr,

Is it ok for me to have all sorts of food or should i be avoiding something .
Also can you suggest any sweat absorbing powders.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need of dietary restriction, consider any clotrimazole powder

Detailed Answer:
Hi!! There is no need to avoid any food. No need of dietary restriction if you are nondiabetic. I recommend my patients to use powders containing clotrimazole for sweat absorption. Many brands are available in the market . You can consider using candid powder, clocip powder or absorb powder. All are equally good.