Suggest treatment for persistent fever

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello Dr. Living in the Netherlands, it's Winter time with 32F and snow. I've had a high fever for 2 days. It was manageable with Paracetamol/Acetaminophen but now after having taken 1 gram 3 hours ago, my fever is up.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may take a tablet of ibuprofen.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

With rest and acetaminophen, Your fever should subside soon. If it doesn't, You may take an ibuprofen. Infact you may take acetaminophen and ibuprofen alternately at 6 hrs interval. For wheezing you may nebulize yourself with levolin and budecort 2 to 3 times a day and take a tablet of monteleukast lc daily. If your symptoms persist, You may have to consult your doctor again for further evaluation and treatment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 28 minutes later
Thank you Dr. I have taken 400mg of Ibuprofen about 45 minutes ago and am resting in bed. So far no change on my fever, holding at around 98F - 100F.

I have salbutamol for my lungs, which I was told to continue taking, I'm just worried about the fever as this alledged virus could be resistant to medication.

Anything else you would recommend to help fight it?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fever will come down soon.

Detailed Answer:
Don't worry fever will come down as common viral infections usually respond to symptomatic treatment.

Very soon you will be fine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng