Suggest treatment for persistent fever in a child

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: Sir,
My 11 yrs old son is having continous fever with temp hitting 102-103 in the last 4 days. From 2nd day we are going to doctor and we have started on Clavum from yesterday onwards.
My sister (45 yrs old) also had similar symptoms for last 5 days and already got diagosed for Typhoid today and i doubt my son is also might have Thypoid. He is already had Typoid 4 yrs back in 2011 and got treated for it.
he is still have severe body, chest pain and headache. His food intake is not bad and he is eating ok.
Do we have to do blood culture immediately to diagnose for Tyhpoid or wait for it.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get him tested for Typhoid Now

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

Well your doubt could be true. There is a high chance of him having Typhoid fever and Clavum will not be effective for Typhoid fever.

I strongly recommend to get blood test done for him now itself ( no need to wait for few more days ). There is no need for blood culture , you can just get a test called IgM Typhi Dot . You shall get the results of this test in few hours itself.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask .

Regards.
Dr. Divakara