Suggest treatment for persistent fast heart rate

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been waking up with a fast heart rate for the last few weeks. At 6 hours sleep... If i go to sleep at 10, i'm up at 4am. Its hard to go back to sleep because my heart rate seems up and i'm wired for sound. If i have a bath and relax for an hour, I can sometimes go back to sleep. Whats troubling me now is that I have a bit of sensitivity to coffee. My heart feels racie after even a few sips of coffee.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern I would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to anxiety.

Nevertheless, I would recommend performing some tests to exclude other possible causes:

- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to exact your heart rhythm trends during the night and exclude possible arrhythmia
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

If these tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your troubles.

I would also recommend avoiding caffeine intake which can exacerbate this situation.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad