Suggest treatment for persistent dizziness and finger numbness caused by hypertension

Dr. Rajesh Teli

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: My wife age 50, is having numbness and needle pricks and a tight feeling but no pain in her index and middle fingers in the right hand and sometimes in the middle finger in her left hand. and in the middle finger of the right foot. She also had dizziness due to vertigo. Her periods were regular at 28 days interval, but now it is erratic about once in three months and even four months.
Her blood results are as follows: Creatinine serum 0.9mg/dl. Lipid Profile: Cholesterol serum 234 mg/dl; Triglyceride serum 134 mg/dl; LDL cholesterol 168 mg/dl; HDL cholesterol 47 mg/dl; VLDL cholesterol 27.0 mg/dl Lipaemia FBS, Plasma 92 mg/dl. TSH 2.2 mIU/L.
The physician who saw her gave her Vertin 8 mg 1-0-1 for 5 days. Stugeron 25mg 1-0-1 for 5 days and Maxmala 50mg 0-0-1 for 2 weeks. Now her vertigo has been relieved. But the problem in her fingers remains which is affecting her quality of life.
Kindly give some remedy to this problem.

Thank you
xxxx XXXXXXX R
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Teli 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get her x rays of cervical and lumbar spine

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr.xxxx,
I am Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.
I have gone through your query.Thanks for using HCM.
Going through details of your wife she has following problems.
1.Hypertension :her BP should remain below 140/90.BP of 180/90 should be managed with salt restriction in diet and frequent check up and if her BP still remains high she should be given medication.
2.Her Serum cholesterol should remain below 150 mg and LDL below 100 Mg.She must avoid fatty diet and maintain healthy life style and should go for regular walking.repeat lipids after 4 to 6 weeks.
3.Numbness and needle pricks in her index and middle finger appears to be due to root compression in cervical spinal cord due to spondylosis.she should get Xray cervical spine AP and lateral views.Her tingling in right foot may be due to similar problem in lumbar region so you should also get x rays LS spine AP and lateral views.If these 2 x rays are normal then you need to consult a neurophysician for further evaluation.Maxmala 50 is temporary relief medication and not specific drug.
4.Her vertigo too can be due to cervical spondylosis and it has responded well to stugeron and vertin so no need to worry for that as on today.
I would be glad to guide you further once i get your feedback.
My best wishes
Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar