Suggest treatment for persistent diarrhoea

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: why would i have diarrhea after i eat? - also drinking....but EVVERYTIME , almost, after i eat
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Irritable bowel syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic.

Based on the history you shared and you age group it seems as if you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.

Few of these measures may help:

You can use Antispasmodic drugs like drotaverine or hyoscyamine for any associated crampy feeling.

Anti motility agents like loperamide for diarrhoea and reducing bowel movement can be used after recommendations of your GP.

If any signs of fever or blood in stool is present, dont use loperamide and start treatment for infectious causes with metronidazole and ciprofloxacin after discussing with your GP.

Using high fibre diets or fibre supplements like ispaghol husk two or three times daily will help.

Restricting lactulose and fructose containing diets, specially reducing milk and dairy products to minimal will show some benefits.

Clear water restriction for a day or two and switching to ORS will help to decrease symptoms caused by over absorption of water in intestinal cells causing conditions like osmotic diarrhea.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad