Suggest treatment for persistent diarrhea

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I have had diarrhea for four days with liquid stools and mucus in the mix. i also have enlarged
veins in the anus that make it difficult to evacuate and also to sit. I have tried Emodium and its
generic but these do not seem to work, since my bouts continue regularly about 3 to 4 hours
apart.
There has been bleeding over the first three days, but that seems to have ceased.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do a stool exam and drink much water!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

But for all the inconvenience related to diarrhea, this cannot kill as long as you drink enough fluid to compensate for the losses. If this were acute diarrhea, I will suggest that you stop imodium and rather drink much water as this is not good for diarrhea that has not been more than 14days.

Your description also raises the possibility of hemorrhoids. If this be the case, I will suggest that you get evaluated. Diarrhea with blood always needs to be evaluated by a physician and a stool exam done as this might represent other disease conditions like infections, ulcerative colitis or hemorrhoids. I will strongly recommend that you get it evaluated and your primary care doctor is a good start.

In all, stop imodium and drink much water. Do a stool exam and get evaluated by your physician for possible hemorrhoids, ulcerative colitis and infections.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.