Suggest treatment for persistent diarrhea and nausea

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Monday morning, I felt nauseous, but needed to take meds [which I find out later I don't need to take w/food]. Very soon after, I was throwing up. Decided to take activated charcoal...1 level teaspoon with water and just drink water the rest of the day. My son was frying onions and the smell kept making me feel nauseaus. Later that evening and through the night, diarrhea started...very watery. Tuesday, there was some relief in afternoon and I slept 6 hours straight. By midnight, it started up again. Of course, it's black b/c of charcoal...every 20>60 minutes apart. Called my doc's office early morning today, but still no response...ugh! How can I stop this, but not with medicines??? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

This may be a viral gastroenteritis ("stomach flu") unless you have a history of these kinds of symptoms.

Non-medical treatment you can consider:
Coconut water (not coconut milk): This is a good rehydration solution which includes electrolytes. If your diarrhea is that frequent, you may be getting dehydrated and losing potassium excessively.

Rice that is cooked with more water than is called for, for a longer length of time. This is sometimes called a conjee. Rice can be helpful because it can be binding, slowing down bowel transit time.

Food with pectin (a soluble fiber) such as apple sauce (not raw apples).

Pepto Bismol: I know you don't want to use medicine, but Pepto Bismol is only partly a medicine, if that is fair to say. Bismuth helps bind some microbes and can decrease diarrhea. It is a bit like activated charcoal. But it may be less irritating on your digestion than charcoal. Worth a try. Activated charcoal is usually more for binding poisons/toxins. Note that the Bismuth can turn your stools black too.

If the above suggestions don't help adequately and you continue to lose fluids via your digestive tract, I strongly recommend going in to an urgent care clinic or ER. There they can assess for whether your electrolytes are off, and treat for that and dehydration with an IV. Sometimes just shutting down the digestive tract for a few hours by not putting anything further into it, and rehydrating/replacing with an IV, can stop the process.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Thank you! Have begun the coconut water and, so far, things seem to have settled down, no urgency. Will enjoy some organic applesauce a bit later!
Brief Answer:
Good luck

Detailed Answer:
I hope you are on the mend now! Just have a little apple sauce when you eat it. Having smaller amounts of food at a time can be less stimulating to the digestive tract when it is upset.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 hours later
Yes, just did as you suggested...had PHENOMENAL full night's sleep since 3 nights ago! Thank you...thank you...thank you!
FYI...Have been on a total grain-free/sugar-free way of eating since Oct.15.2015. My doc was ready to write a script for injections...diet/exercise/oral no longer controlled the diabetes! I had read a lot about cardiologist Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX & Wheat Belly [www.wheatbellyblog.com]. I told my doc that, if she gave me the next 3 months, I'd like to do this. At my next 3 mo checkup/blood work... A1C went from 10.9 to 7.1. Reversal of fatty liver...panels were normal, all blood work normal! Truly amazing and 19 lbs effortlessly disappeared. To-date, have lost 60+ lbs. effortlessly [w/no excesive exercising needed!] and now 130 lbs.!!! My doc was shocked, tho't she had wrong blood work! 8)
Since this was the first time I've been "sick" since this new eating regimen, I didn't know what to do and my doc's office was not returning my call...she was probably away. I needed help. I know what I would'be done, but couldn't have any grains. Low carbs and minimal fruit b/c of sugars...this I had a little every so often.
So that's my story and very much appreciated your much needed response and help.
Am doing great this morning, too!
Once again, thank you!!! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. And that your diet and fatty liver disease reversed with the dietary changes in such as short time (and without suffering hunger). I will take a look at the site you shared - I'm always open to learning.
;) . . . thanks for "listening!" Enjoy the day! XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Your welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Best regards,

Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD