Suggest treatment for persistent depression, anxiety and mood swings

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I have been having period every 2 weeks, it is brown and mucoid. I am not sexually active so its not an std. It is accompanied by depression, anxiety, mood swing. I have painful urgent bowel movement and am in bathroom for hours. I have IBS and EDS.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to see a Gynecologist!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting healthcare magic.

I have reviewed your information fully. This is certainly an issues that needs to be investigated. Commonly causes of frequent and irregular menses could be hormonal or fibroids. This accompanied with bowel changes that are painful and urgent make fibroids more likely.

Repeated bleeds would certainly lead to anemia, fatigues, restlessness, etc. For this reason, it is important that you get evaluated by a gynecologist. We need to identify the exact cause and manage.

In the interim, iron tablets would help compensate for excess blood loss. However, identifying the exact problem and managing is the best way to go.

I hope this sheds more light and guides you on this. Keep me posted as you plan to see the gynecologist for a permanent fix.

I wish you well.
Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 39 minutes later
my gynecologist has said as long as I am not continuously bleeding for over 2 weeks then it shouldbe ok.
They aren't heavy periods and are red for a few hours then brown for the next 4 days. There is no pattern to them.
She also said I was to young for menopause and perimenopause.
I think there is something more but my pap came back clean and my gynecologist and PCP won't look further.
The bad thing is I have terrible bowel pain and movement the first day I start. I have severe mood and personality change (so I've been told). i usually end up calling in sick to work during the first 24hours. and i can't predict it so i can't prepare for it.
What do I do when my doctors won't look further.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will suggest you seek a second opinion!

Detailed Answer:

It's sad that your doctors wouldn't look further. As for me, I don't find it totally normal for you to have periods every 2weeks. With this being so worrisome, I suggest they consider getting you on pills to regulate these periods and impose a 28day rhythm and predictability. Discuss this with your doctors and if they wouldn't want to look any further, ask for a second opinion from another doctor/OBGYN.

Keep me posted on this. I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad