Suggest treatment for persistent cough

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Persistent cough with no fever, some mucus but mostly clear discharge. Annoying. What can I take so quiet the cough?
YYYY@YYYY

Wed, 23 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take only dextromethorphan syrup.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Robitussin syrup is having combination of dextromethorphan (cough suppressant) and guafenesin (expectorant).
I think guafenesin is causing coughing in your case. Actually guafenesin is useful when you have chesty cough (congestion).
It is mucolytic and expectorant. So it dilute mucus and makes it easy to cough put.
Since you are not having mucus (congestion), guafenesin is not helpful.
Better to take only dextromethorphan containing syrup.
It will supress cough.
Do warm water gargles 5-6 times a day. Drink plenty of fluids orally and keep yourself hydrated.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.