Suggest treatment for persistent cough

Posted on Fri, 9 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I've had a persistent cough for almost 4 weeks now, with no other symptoms. This isn't a lingering cough from a cold, it just came out of no where and has persisted for weeks. It started almost immediately after a camping trip at the beach. The first week of it, it was a tickling sensation that forced hard, dry coughs in fits that I couldn't prevent. Then it progressed to be a wet cough that was terrible if I lied flat, and interrupted my sleep the second week. Then the third week it stopped preventing me from sleeping but persists all through the work day. I noticed that it gets better over the weekends and when I was on vacation for 4 days it almost completely went away. But it came back with a vengeance when I returned to work. I've had (for years now) a wet cough after I eat meals and coughing fits when I encounter cold air (a violent cough that almost feels like choking until I breath through my nose slowly). So this new cough is only exacerbating the problems I have in cold air or after meals. I'm 27 years old, a healthy weight, and have no other health issues. Is this allergies? Asthma? Viral? I'm so confused.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely allergic cough.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely allergic cough. This can be from a viral respiratory infection you had or due to other allergens. Antihistamines will be helpful for this.

I usually advise combination of antihistmines like levocetirizine and mast cell stabilizers like monteleukast for this. Proton pump inhibitors like esomeprazole also should be taken along with this. This will help to abort any acid reflux which can also cause this.

But if you have breathing difficulty then chest X ray and spirometry test will needed.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN