Suggest treatment for persistent cough

Dr. Satyadeo Choubey

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Mar 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi, I've been having a cough for a little less than a month. At first it would only come If I was outside (I have no history of asthma) now it is persistent and I have started coughing up phlegm, it is more of a light color can't really tell if it's green or yellow and I'm not getting up much (I'm just starting to drink more water because I've heard it loosens the phlegm up so it comes up easier). I did notice once it had a really foul smell to it but only noticed it that one time. I do have a slight shortness of breath with activity (I have to take dogs outside and by the time I come back in I feel like I just ran a good couple miles. After rest it's just the persistent cough and light headedness)I really haven't had a fever the highest I've noticed my temperature is 99.3 and I just took some Tylenol. and I've been using Cēpacol cough drops because all the coughing is making my thought sore. I have had a history of nasal dripping to make me cough and my throat sore but I don't remember the other symptoms with that and have been keeping up with my allergy medicine which I take mucinex allergy which does help alot with my seasonal allergies.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go for advised investigation and empirical treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Coughing yellowish/greenish phlegm means bacterial infection and foul smelling one suggests anaerobes.
You are right that taking plenty of fluid loosen the respiratory secretions so continue that.
At this juncture I will advise you to go for a chest X ray PA view and sputum examination for AFB, grams staining and culture sensitivity.
Empirically antibiotic like tablet azithromycin along with N acetyl cysteine would ease the sputum clearance.
Final treatment to be prescribed after the lab reports.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T