Suggest treatment for persistent cough

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 2month old boy baby is suffering from bad cough.Baby was in Nicu for 35 days due to respiratory distress,chronic lung disease and MAS.He was treated with Dexona steriod.Steriod has been weaned off,no vaccines are started yet.Has he developed bad cough and wheezing,Doctor has prescribed Advent drops 2ml twice a day and asthalin syrup 3.5ml thrice a day for 5 days.Even after 4 days of medications cough has not cured.
Answered by Dr. Arun 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be extension of bronchiolitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Babies with chronic lung disease tend to have hyper reactive airways . Your baby most likely has a viral infection of the lungs called bronchiolitis which will take a long time to cure in babies with pre existing conditions like chronic lung disease.
I would suggest you to continue the medicines for a couple of days and seek medical attention if there is no improvement.
The other possibility is of pneumonia which is possible given the long nicu stay. This can be identified by chest xray if there is no improvement in a couple of days.

Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari