Suggest treatment for persistent cough with blood coated phlegm

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Doctor.

I am XXXX. I am having cough and cold for about a week now. Very mild fever also sometimes with occassional sneezing. Day before yesterday, when I was coughing, the cough came out as if gelled with blood. I went to Apollo Clinic and they made me do blood tests for Dengue, did an X-Ray but all results were normal. Today morning again while coughing, i got cough with blood coated. Image attached. Is this normal? I am feeling lot better though.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....wait and watch
Detailed answer...
I have read your query,seen the photograph and understand your concern.
It is indeed a frightening sign to see blood in your sputum but generally in young people like you,it is a non serious issue because cause is non serious mostly.
The most common causes at your age are acute bronchitis,severe coughing due to throat irritation specially in smokers and tuberculosis.
In my opinion,your blood seems to be due to severe coughing bout and this should be all right in next couple of days as your coughing becomes normal gradually.
I think you must wait and watch.
In case your coughing doesn't stop and bleeding episodes increases,then you may need to consult a pulmonologist for possible repeat chest X ray,may be a CT scan and even a bronchoscopy.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thank you so much. Feeling better after reading your response.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 55 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta