Suggest treatment for persistent cough in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: My kid is suffering from cough since week now. Need suggestion on same plz.

This is first time he is facing such a cough problem.
This cough ia not a regular problem.
No he doesn't go brearhless.
Yes sounds like seasonal change, my wife is facing similar kind of cough these days.
No family history of asthama.
My kid is almost 5 now.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get back with answers - I need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi.....I need more information. Please get back with answers.

Questions:
1. How many days per month do the kid cough or feel breathless?
2. How many nights per month do the kid’s sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?
3. Does the kid feel breathless when running around or plays with other kids?
4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes?
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?

Regards​ - Dr. Sumanth
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness with cough / wheezing

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... thank you for getting back with answers.

By what you say, I feel that your kid is facing a recovering viral illness which can cause cough like this. Simple cough suppressants will be enough. But at the same please don't expect this cough to be subsiding immediately. Sometimes it can go on for 2-3 weeks also.

The other possibility is a viral associated wheezing. This is quite common in this season. More so when another family member is also having a similar illness. But this requires bronchodilator therapy. Just cough syrups may not work in this situation.

I suggest you consult a pediatrician and if there is wheezing, we can use bronchodilator therapy and if there's no wheezing then just cough suppressanrs will do.

Hope this helps. If you still have any query regarding this, please get back. I will be glad to help.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth