Suggest treatment for persistent cough caused by tracheitis

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Feb 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Ive had tracheitis for the last 10 days have had two courses of antibiotics & tablet form steroids. iam a very fit 46 year old man no history of ill health, no smoker. the coughing fits are very extreme especially at night and morning, lack of sleep is a nightmare! how would this normally last?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Also take antihistamine drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Usual time for recovery is 2-3 weeks.
In my opinion, you should also start antihistamine drugs for cough suppression.
Drink plenty of fluids orally and keep yourself hydrated.
Do steam inhalation 4-5 times a day. Do warm water gargles 5-6 times a day.
You will mostly improve in next 1-2 weeks.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.