Suggest treatment for persistent cough and wheezing

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a cough that has persisted for about 4 weeks. It's worse at night when sleeping and sometimes there is wheezing, especially when exhaling. Usually can cough up sputum in morning - green or brown. It seems to be improving somewhat but still not completely resolved
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is likely to be bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through. Based on the history you have shared, it seems like acute bronchitis or acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis. Wheeze, cough and sputum all point toward that. However you need to have a chest Xray to rule of pneumonia and also get your chest examined for bronchospam and other signs like creputations etc. Using steam inhalations and salbutamol neubilisations will help with the chest congestion. Use of antibiotics like moxifloxacin will help as clariton has not responded in your case. Using anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine and decongestants nasal will be help ful. cough expectorant syrups may also be used. Chest physio is helpful and helps to get large amounts of sputum out with bouts of coughing. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Thanks - I'll follow-up with my local M.D.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Closing remarks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the appreciation. You can contact me in future directly through my profile in case of any more queries. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng