Suggest treatment for persistent cough and shortness of breath

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have had a persistent cough for five weeks now. At the very crest of my inhalation, my chest is slightly tight --like one would feel coming to the close of a chest cold. I have no shortness of breath, but my entire bronchial apparatus feels inflamed from this chronic cough. I was on anoro ellipta and arnuity ellipta which I discontinued because they made me feel worse. I have been on a cough expectorant with codeine which seems to help me sleep, but I have been wretching a lot today. I have had no fever or discolored phlegm. My cardiovascular health has always been quite good. Tomorrow, I am going in for a chest X-ray at my Internist's request. What do you think could be going on?? I have never coughed so much and so hard in my entire life. I will turn 60 in late March 2017.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is most probably a chronic bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, there are many causes that can lead to chronic dry cough
1) chronic bronchitis that will appear on X-ray as inflammation. of the airways
2) gastroesophygeal reflux that will appear on X-ray as incompetent gastroesophygeal junction with inflammation of the oeophygus
3) blood pressure medication of the ACE inhibitor type can cause chronic dry cough
4) dehydration , if you don't drink enough fluids daily this can cause chronic dry cough. make sure you drink at least 8 cups of fluids daily
5) lung tumors that will appear on X-ray as a lung mass
I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy