Suggest treatment for persistent cough and recurring tonsillitis

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: XXXXXXX I have had a tickly cough in my throat for around 2 years now. It comes on in quite inconvienient moments and makes my eyes water terribly. The cough has got so much worse and now I wretch when I cough. I have just had a tonsillectomy in the hope it would rid the problem, (i used to get awful tonsillitis anyway). My doctor has taken blood tests for allergies, and I have been on several nasal sprays prescribed by an ENT Consultant who examined me a while ago and put a long black wire down my nose and into my throat and found nothing with a little inflammation to the nose. Absolutely nothing has helped me and I really want to be rid/cured of the problem.
Thank you
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get PFT done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your situation and problem.
Since you had recurrent URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) in the form of tonsillitis, possibility of post infectious bronchitis is more.
Post infectious bronchitis is inflammation of larger airways and can be due to persistent infection in the upper airway.
Chronic, persistent cough is one of the symptom seen in this.
So in your case we need to rule out post infectious bronchitis first.
Get done
1. Clinical examination of respiratory system.
2. PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis.
It will also tell you about severity of the disease.
And treatment of bronchitis is based on severity only.
You may need inhaled bronchodilators and antihistamine drug.
So better to consult pulmonologist and first diagnose yourself and then start appropriate treatment.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist