Suggest treatment for persistent cough and fatigue while treating flu

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi. I came down with the flu 18 days ago (Type A). I went to the doctor and was given antibiotics. After 5 days I felt well enough to go back to work. However, I still have a persistent cough and feel exhausted by 5 pm. In addition, every night I sweat a lot, so that I wake up with a drenched shirt. Should I see the doctor again?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should definitely consult doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, you should definitely consult your doctor.
Flu can cause pneumonia and bronchitis.
Both of these can cause persistent cough, fatigue, night sweats etc.
So better to consult doctor and get done clinical examination of respiratory system, chest x ray and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
Chest x ray is needed to rule pneumonia.
PFT is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis.
You may need antibiotics and inhaled bronchodilators.
So consult your doctor and discuss all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D