Suggest treatment for persistent cough and cold in a child

Posted on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My son is one and a half years old. His weight is 10.2 kg.He has cold right from eight months. Till eight months He had no cold or fever. But after that He is suffering from continuous cold every month. Often He is getting fever also. Often my son is scratching his ears. I consulted nearly three doctors. One of the doctors say He may have primary complex. Another doctor says He has only allergy. I am in a frustration. From eighth month onward he took the following medicines: Amoxycillin, Chlorphenaramine, Mefenamic acid, Cetrizine. Ambroxol suggested by various doctors. Please give me a suggestion for this problem.
Can I consult a homeopathic doctor?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Additional information required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms XXXX

Recurrent cough and cold present tricky problem in clinical practise. The cause could be as simple as dust allergy to Tuberculosis.

At the age of 18 months mostly likely cause of recurrent cold along with air problem is likely to be due to allergy.

I would require following additional information for me to be able to assist you further

1. Was any ENT assessment done?

2. On what basis Tuberculosis was suspected ? Was it on basis of any abnormality detected on Chest X-Ray or PPD/Tuberculin test done?

3. What are all the investigation done till date: It would be very helpful if you could provide detailed list done, if possible you could upload the reports.

Awaiting your response

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Kishore
MBBS,MS,MCh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 40 hours later
Dear Sir
So far I have not consulted any ENT specialist
The doctor suspected it may be primary complex based on the X ray report. But He was not sure about it. No further clinical tests were done to assess whether it was primary complex. Without conducting any test the doctor asked me to admit my son in the hospital and He said all the antibiotics will be given through IV. But I did not admit my son.
The doctor whom I recently consulted told me it was due to allergy. He said my son had normal body weight and had no symptoms related to primary complex.

I am so confused as what to do.
Doctor my son has taken lot of antibiotics so far. I am so worried about this. I need your kind advice to solve this problem.
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be TB

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX

Do not worry things can be taken care off. I would suggest you not to start your son on antibiotics at the onset of respiratory symptoms. Majority of respiratory infection are viral in origin and require supportive care. If the weight gain is adequate, appetite is good its unlikely to be TB of lungs.
I would suggest you folioing

1. Kindly send me X-Ray image for further assessment.
2. Regular Steam inhalation: using electronic steamer will be helpful in preventing recurrence
3. PPD or Tuberculin skin testing in consultation with your Pediatrician

Awaiting your response. Keep me updated

Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon