question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent constipation

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: so I've been not able to poop for a week now. There is pressure in my stomach that is also leading to me chest. I thought I might me constipated but I'm not sure. I've been take something to help me. poop but nothing is working. what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
constipation. needs management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and I understand your concern. Not being able to poop is nothing else but constipation. You need to take some laxative to defecate. But more important is the need to modify diet and lifestyle. Exercise regularly. Train bowel habits and avoid delaying or resisting urges to defecate. Aim for high fiber diet and 14 gram per thousand calories of a minimum. You can train your pelvic muscles which help defecate by a therapy called biofeedback.

Right now take some laxative in any form and see if it resolves. Drink plenty of fluids. If the problem persists go to ER they will manually evacuate or do rectal enema or suppositories to relieve the constipation.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Regards XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan