Suggest treatment for persistent cold, sore throat, sneezing and runny nose

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a cold for 1 week now. It started with a sore throat, followed by sneezing and a runny nose, then chest congestion and coughing. I tried Tylenol for Cold (Multiple Symptoms tablets). I took 2 every 4 hrs. I took Delsym for the cough, 10 mL every 12 hrs. Then I had orange juice, tea with lemon and honey, and chicken soup. However, the cold is still there. I still have a runny nose, difficulty breathing at different times of the day and the coughing continues. I have tried the steam breathing with a mixture of hot water and 10 drops of tincture benzoin. I has opened by nose airways and I can breath better but I am not fully well yet. Do you have any other suggestions that I could try to get rid of my cold. Please write to me after you read this message. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
You should take a combination of levocetrizine plus pseudoephedrine twice daily and tablet cefixime 200 twice daily for 5 days.
Do saline gargles and take steam inhalation.
Take tablet vitamins c once daily.
All the medicine prescribed by me will be available only on prescription.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 37 hours later
Sunday, 11-5-2017

Dear Dr. XXXX

Thank you for your response to my questions. This is a follow-up note to you.

I will do the saline gargles, and I will take steam inhalation, and I will also take a tablet of Vitamin C once daily. I have been drinking orange juice daily as well.

I will need to make an appt. to see a Doctor to get the prescriptions for Levocetrizine, Pseudoephedrine, and Cefixime 200 mg. next week so I will complete the full treatment you are recommending.

I hope I will feel better soon. Thank you for suggestions.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You should start with the medicines. you will definitely be benefited.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vishesh Rohatgi