Suggest treatment for persistent cold in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: I have a 4 and a half yr old daughter. She an on/off cold for 6 months now, one min she's fine and another she has a cold. She's congested,coughs and sneezes. I've taken her to the ER twice and both times they said it's because "she's in pre-k and exposed to other bacteria,so colds last longer". I don't understand because all the other students in her class are fine, at home though she shares her room with her grandpa. He smokes and has a air filter he uses occasionally,sometimes he just leaves a window cracked. I give my daughter baths,medicine to help with the cold but nothing helps. What can I do to help this cold end?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To me it appears more allergic rather infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Prolonged and repeated cough/cold without fever in this age particularly when there is history of exposure to smoke goes more in favour of allergy.Bacterial infection usually does not show a waxing and waning course over a prolonged period which is common in allergy.
I would like to know if cold is associated with rapid breathing,poor feed or restlessness.
To differentiate bacterial infection from allergic one I would suggest you to get Complete blood count and C reactive protein done.
In bacterial infection usually there is increased total white cell count with neutrophil predominance and raised C reactive protein while raised eosinophil count may give a clue towards allergy.
Avoiding allergen (suggest you to change the room of the baby) and giving anti allergic like montelukast with cetrizine helps in cold/cough due to allergy.
I suggest you to discuss the condition with your doctor for evaluation and management.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 minutes later
Her breathing seems regular to me, but she does give me a hard time eating. Everytime I feed her, it's almost like she's scared of the food, I make varieties of food and nothing appeals to her unless its junk like cookies,etc.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please consult a pediatrician to evaluate for allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
thanks for follow up

This feeding problem seems to be habit related.
I would request you again to consult a pediatrician for evaluation of allergic causes and treatment accordingly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad