Suggest treatment for persistent cold and cough

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: thank you - I have had a cold with a crazy cough. Not sure if it is related, however, I have a pain from my left neck down to the left side of my chest. Swallowing and breathing is good, but feels like bruising when I cough and put pressure on the veins.

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is related.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:
1. Due to coughing, the accessory muscles of respiration are becoming active. Specifically, the muscles in the neck like the sternocleidomastoid and intercostal muscles in chest and also few back muscles.
2. These muscles are not active during normal breathing. During forced breathing, deep breathing or coughing, they become active. As you are having a crazy cough, you are having pain in the accessory muscle areas like neck and the chest. Any pressure on the chest, you can feel pain due to muscle soreness.
3. Need to reduce and stop coughing. If you do not have any active sputum production, you can take cough suppressants like codeine sulphate. Also steam inhalation, salt water gargling - twice a day along with antihistamines like cetrizine or loratidine should help.

If cough is stopped for a day or two, the pain will disappear.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM