Suggest treatment for persistent breathlessness and pressure in the chest

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I have waited to use the last thread till we get renewal to subscription.
I know you have been worried, I have been good and bad. I have had tight chest, very limited inhale, I start to take a breath, air flows strong for 3 seconds then stops, my little brain says to me that air has easily passed through large airways but when it gets to small, it stops because of inflammation.

You must be in cooperation with my local pulmonologist. I was so tight on tuesday, that I called his office and gave them a true story to give a reason to get a CT scan done just so i can write off lung issues. Well you and he have talked, He said no, that he could find no justification that one is needed.
Other than he feels certain that its mild Asthma/stress and you have only inflammation/stress. HCM psychiatrist likes just stress and nothing more, maybe a little inflammation.

I went and had another massage last night after work, relaxed a bit but too much chaos at the house so it got stressed quickly I woke a 3, i went to bed with my antidepressant and flovent but nothing more. so with out that xanax I think that caused me to wake, anyway, I noticed that i was getting a shallow breath and then worried till I got up at 6, sleep was little.

what do you think of the shallow breaths, panic and inflammation?
Asked by Me , 0 minutes ago
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes I was worried.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern. Yes, I was worried.
You are didn't contact me since 4-5 days.
I thought you are all good and enjoying so forget me.
Well, I think your all symptoms are linked with worsening or increasing stress, anxiety and panic.
So don't think too much. Be relax and calm.
Why you didn't contact me despite of not well?
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 27 minutes later
There are a few days left before the renewal so I did not try to respond too soon in case i had one thread left on three accounts. It looks like i did have one left.

So, in short texts i can ask a question adn get more answered.

The increasing stress, anxiety and panic can cause the airway constriction to keep me from getting a full breath in. Air comes in through the large airways and hits the small and if constricted only get a small amount in and feels short of breath?

The first three seconds are the large airways getting air in and then trys to move through the small. is that logical?

Oh both recent chats with Local pulm have left me with a stern talk and I feel better for a short while cause my mind says that the information provided to the dr must be a good and give the best diagnosis and correct diagnosis
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, we doctors love to talk straight.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, we doctors love to talk straight things.
So don't think too much about this. Be relax and calm.
From where did this 3 second thing come?
Air goes first in larger airways then go in smaller airways. So yes, to your answers.

Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 minutes later
3 Seconds =

I lay on my back, slow my breathing down, relax. and take or try to take long slow deep breaths. I will count as I take a breath in. I have done this all my life. 20 years ago, I remember reaching 14-15 seconds on a inhale. now it is up and down. I figure age will not let me get the 14-15 but I think I should get 10-12, but again I said i did it when i was symptom free from anything. Now I can get 3, or maybe 5 or 6 or 7 struggle at 8 and 9, figure thats the small airway constriction. If I force air out of my lungs I can squeek 11

So,.................... Inflammation>>>>Bronchoconstriction>>>>air cant fully fill lungs. Anxious behaviour>>>>desire for full breath>>>>tightness and Inflammation do not allow>>>>more anxiety and it starts over
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait wait wait. Why you are doing this?

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Wait wait wait. Why you are doing like this?
What is point in counting and breath in?
I think you are only getting more stress and anxiety by doing this.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 10 hours later
12-09-12, my mother died after a long battle with copd
I was put in charge of the funeral and as executor of her estate
On 03 -10-13 I had to break off a relationship with a stressful relationship
On 3-16-13 I went on a date with a very nice lady
We planned a follow up date on 3-22-13, I must have been very anxious and stressed, that night I had a panic attack that took me to the ER at a heart hospital
After numerous tests, I was given a all clear. I should mention that this was not the first time I had gone to er for a heart panic attack.
Chronic anxiety has been an issue for 10 years or so.
Back to the story, this girl I was dating. she lived 30 miles away and we would drive to see each other. Shortly after our first date, a bad weather storm of frozen rain came and caused serious damage. Because I was responsible for 3 properties to take care of, I triggered an attack that made breathing issues begin. Then I had another a few weeks later when bike riding with this girlfriend. Then she dumped me and I became depressed. But over time it decreased and I did nothing t notice it. In March of 2014 I triggered it again when trying to talk while on the treadmill. I ran out of breath, that feeling is what triggered this current bout of continuous panic and breathing issues

Now we move to today, I have heard the words of you, the words of the local pulmonologist. Both of you agree that it's not copd but you say inflammation, he says mild asthma.
Ok either of the two has inflammation in it. Whatever the cause of today's spike in panic has made it hard to breath in through my mouth. I find I must breath through my nose. Either way, I get only so much in and I have an obstruction keeping me from breathing well.
I told my ex that I am ready to just pack up and leave here without a job just to see if my health improves But I have to wait till I finish the project that seems to never end. I was reprimanded today and forced to sign an agreement that it would be completed by month end. I hope to have it done by Sunday and if so I will turn in my resignation on Tuesday
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is very brave decision.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.. I have gone through the long story of yours.
You had been through many emotional ups and downs. And your life is the source of stress for you and the reason for your symptoms.
And what was that?
Resignation?
I must say this is a brave step. But as far as your health is concerned, this step will mostly help.
But I have a fear in my mind. You are not having any job there. So sitting at home without job also cause stress and anxiety few days later.
So please find new job there.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
I had a bad day yesterday. Used inhalers and no luck. Went to bed and all of the sudden my airways opened up not a little but a lot. Went to sleep and woke at two. Been up since airways back to the way they were. I took my inhaler before bed and I took my antidepressant and two Buspar. Not urge what happened but am trying to figure it out so I can continue it. I forgot how good open airways were
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is great.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
This is great that you can feel that your airways are now open fully.
I also want to know how you can feel?
I mean did inspiration was prolonged during that time? More than 3 seconds?
How was your stress level yesterday?
I did not count, I was so elated that my chest tightness was absent and tha a breath of air was not labored. That the area of my chest did not feel tight. I am not sure if the rescue inhaler and the Buspar is what relaxed me and the airways but I am going to try to work relaxed today and see
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You must be at peace of mind.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Above them, you must be at peace of mind which gives you more relaxation.
What do you think about this?
No peace of mind until I can repeat it so that I know it will be ok. I went to bed stressed, but had the meds to relax me. Then I woke to realize I had been sleeping and dreaming of problems at work and the stress that follows it.

I really hope to get through this project today because then I can rest all weekend without concern for it on Monday !
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dreaming in night is bad.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Dreams during sleep and that you remember is not a sign of sound sleep.
You are having more of unsound sleep. So you are sleeping but your body is not fully relaxed. And this is the reason why you wake up unrefreshed.
Do you have daily dreams?