Suggest treatment for persistent bowel movements and acidity in a person diagnosed IBS

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 13 Oct 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have IBS. How can I combat this? I am very gassy and it seems like I am having about 5-7 bowel movements a day. Most of my bowel movements come in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be controlled well by medications.

Detailed Answer:

In IBS there is some problem in the functional ability of the gut that leads to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. The structure of the intestines is normal, only functional abnormality occurs in this condition.So frankly speaking (IBS) represents a functional disorder of gastrointestinal tract without the presence of an anatomic defect.

So in lay mans language till date we are not sure whats the exact cause of this problem.So the million dollar question is how to repair a system when you don't know which part of it is faulty(Some says it can be brain other says it can be hormone anxiety age etc etc).Some patients have symptoms of unformed stools some have bloating and some may have severe constipation.

Some patients have occasional symptoms whereas others may have symptoms for a long period of time.So as seen above every patient is different.Intensity of symptoms in every patient is different as so is the response to medicines and life style change.A patient may respond good to one medication while other patient is totally unresponsive to the same.

Our goal-
Every drug is not effective in every patient so we have to try different therapies till we find the drug which suits best our patient.All the below mentioned drugs slows down motility of intestines hence will decrease both frequency of motions as well as will increase your power to control them.

Dicyclomine is an anti-cholinergic drug.An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells.

Mebeverine is an antispasmodic medicine and is very useful in IBS and is well tolerated by patient with minimal side effects. Mebeverine works on certain muscles in the wall of your intestines, causing them to relax.
Clidinium bromide is an anti-cholinergic (specifically It may help symptoms of frequent stools.)

Ask your gastroenterologist to start you initially on Clidinium Bromide and Mebeverine combination initially for 21 days.
To control gas take Pantoprazole twice daily along with activated charcoal.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar,
Gastroenterologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D