• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent bad body odor

Posted on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi,I'm 52 years old and i've been suffering for years and it's driving me nuts. I've been to numerous doctors and i have tried almost everything. I can't use alunium chloride based deoderant as it does nothing for me and can break me out. I've tried every other deoderant there is, trust me i have, and nothing works for more than a day if it even works for a DAY. I've undergone getting my sweat glands removed from my underarms but the problem continues to exist. I work around people and they go "Whats that smell?" And i know it's me and it's quite embarrassing. The Docs that i've been to find nothing and say its' nothing, i've been to therapists. But I keep having this body odor and i don't know what it is. & I would really like to know what this is, or what i could do!?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I have some tips for you.

Detailed Answer:
Your main problem is excess sweating and bad odour.
Causes can be skin infection ( bacterial or fungal) lead to replicate themselves and create bad odour,some times genetic or bad hygiene.
Most excess sweating is due to excess sweat glands or their hyper stimulation.
Here are some tips to stop this odour.
1) If you have a bit of eczema or dermatitis or allergy then first take proper antibiotics or antifungal as per your dermatologist opinion.
2) Maintain regular eating pattern and avoid oily,spicy or any other fast foods.Always take balanced diet and drink plenty of water daily.
3) Avoid tight fitting clothes rather wear loose clothes.
4) Wear cotton material clothes and avoid synthetic silk.
5) Bath with antibacterial soap like dettol,savlon
6) Always clean armpits, groin, anus twice or thrice with brush during bathing.
7) Use antiperspirants and deodarants together like aluminium chlorhydrate or zirconium,one will block perspiration and other will mask the smell.
8) Avoid alcohol consumption if taking.
9) Use antibacterial creams or hand sanitizers on armpits.
10) Curtailing excess tea or coffee.
11) Put alum or vinegar or camphar oil into your bath water which will make you fresh all the day.
If you have any query further then do ask me.
Dr.sandipkabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 13 hours later
I do this. Like i said, i had my sweat glands removed, but, i still suffer from the bad odor.

I can't use alumnium products like i mentioned and zirconium doesn't really help.

Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
medications suggested

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.
Sweating itself doesn't have smell but it provides a favorable medium for bacteria ( present on skin specially on armpits,groin) which releases some aromatic fatty acids causes unpleasant smell.
Treatment by two ways.
1) reduce this excess sweating
2) kill the bacteria present over skin

( i)Cumulative execution of earlier tips,
( ii)trying different antiperspirants and apply them only in night bed time and wash in the morning
( don't apply on day time)
( iii)Tab.oxybutynin 10 mg twice daily,
( iv)Topical glycopyrrolate cream or ointment over armpits and other excess sweating areas.
( v) Use of antiseptic/ antibacterial solution like chlorhexidine 0.05% on body and specially on armpits,groin areas.

You have done surgery to remove sweat glands but the thing is after that body starts to produce more sweats from other body areas.

The best option is to inject BOTOX in minimum quantity in areas where likely to have more sweat but it effect lasts for about 6 months only.

You can discuss all this to your dermatologist and proceed further
Dr.sandipkabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 28 hours later
Already did botox as well..so...
it's just that i'm having body odor coming from my underarms.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
antibacterial and antifungal medication with surgery

Detailed Answer:
I have covered almost all kinds of possibilities to reduce sweat and skin infection.
If you have not taken any of drug what i have advised earlier then you must take them after discussing with your cosmetologist/dermatologist and I am sure they will work.
Last option is ETS surgery (endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy), in which nerve tissue which causes excess sweating in underarms, is damaged by passing electric currents leading to malfunction of that nerve leading to block sweating permanently.
You can consult cosmetologist for that.
That is what i can help you through portal,
Thanks and Regards,
Dr.sandipkabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sandip Kabra