Suggest treatment for persistent back pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I am having low back pain for last 3 weeks. condition has improved but I am.am not very XXXXXXX and flexible. consultation with 3 orthopaedics say it's back strain. as I feel better I try to make myself active and again experience weakness and pain in my back. Currently my doctor has suggested low back stretch exercises, but I gel little strain after that. How should I anticipate my recovery.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually takes 2 weeks of complete rest to heal.

Detailed Answer:
Lower back pain is quite COMMON problem. Back muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes of acute to severe lower back pain. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.

Some other underlying causes like Sciatica, Spondylitis, Lumbar herniated disc, Degenerative disc disease, Isthmic spondylolisthesis etc should be ruled out through clinical examination and radiological investigation (like X- ray, CT scan, Myelogram, MRI etc). Kindly, consult with Orthopedic surgeon regarding this for proper management of the case.

TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:

1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.

2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.

3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor. Do get oral muscle relaxants prescribed for an earlier relief. Proper rest is needed for at least 2 weeks for the strain to heal.

4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.

It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine. These are started once the acute pain subsides.

5) Epidural Steroid Injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area of the lower back to reduce inflammation. It doesn't heal the components of the back, but often provide enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
I am already consulting ortho and xray looks fine. my concern why I keep feeling strain after a being little active. how should I progress my movement so I don't get strain. I feel better and then I start moving around and feel the strain coming back. is it ok to feel like that.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Absence of pain does not indicate complete healing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You need complete bed rest to let it heal for at least 2 weeks. Absence of pain does not mean that it has healed and ready to face the stress again. X-ray is not sufficient to detect the soft tissue abnormalities. MRI scan is a more sensitive and accurate test.
After complete healing you should start moving with a back brace to give adequate support to your back. After using brace for 2 more weeks you can think of removing the brace and move normally. Physiotherapy after the acute pain subsides is needed for the muscles to regain the strength.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.