Suggest treatment for persistent back pain

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I have been having pain in my back. it's all over but mostly in the mid to upper back around and between my shoulder blades. resting and stretching don't seem able to help it. what else could I do to alleviate the pain? sometimes it's bad enough I get sick to my stomach and my neck is feeling similar and gives me headaches.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NSAID drugs and warm procedures.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Besides rest, stretching in acute phases of back pain may worsen the pain.

You can use NSAID drugs such Ibuprofen 3x400 mg/day for a couple of days days to relieve pain.

Warm procedures locally 3-4 times a day help also in improvement of symptoms.

Avoid weights and excessive bending over or stretching.

If pain persists after a couple of weeks, further examination by an Orthopedic surgeon and spinal column imaging ( x-rays and MRI ) needed to diagnose properly your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 46 minutes later
would working with horses keep making it worse?/and would some extra rest do it some good?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should avoid work for a couple of days.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

I think you should avoid working for some days.

Rest is recommended for a couple of days only, in cases of moderate to severe pain.

After pain improves, moderate physical activity could start.

Hope I've been of help.