Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

150 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for persistent anxiety

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 5038 Questions

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have always had an anxiety problem. Though throughout my life I've done a good job hiding it and fighting it. But I am 36 now and over the last 5 years or so things have been getting progressively worse. I am an Exec Chef with many responsibilities and much stress is in my life. Lately I have been having shaking episodes, I gag often, vision sometimes gets blurry, I can't keep a straight thought, and I've even been experiencing a fear of people in general. Plus my skin gets very clammy while my ears get red and warm. Like I said, I always have gone through these things but its getting harder to control and harder to hide.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Relaxation exercises and medicines are modality of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking fro

I can understand your concern. First of all I'd like to tell you that there is nothing to hide about anxiety. Problems of anxiety are seen in a lot of individuals and most of successful people have anxiety issues.

The symptoms like shaking episodes, blurred vision, poor focus, fear etc suggest generalised anxiety but should be evaluated.

Base line investigations like haemogram, Thyroid function tests, ECG should be done to rule out medicinal causes. Hyperthyroidism sometimes leads to similar symptoms. ECG will rule out cardiac cause.

If these comes normal then you should consider consulting a psychiatrist. Since you have managed well with anxiety and are in good job so in my opinion you should first give try to relaxation exercises. Breathing exercises or Progressive muscle relaxation exercise can help to control the panic like episodes. PMR or progressive muscle relaxation can be learned from a good psychologist. You can learn the details from youtube too. With time you will learn to control anxiety by controlling your body. Practice is needed to get full relaxation.

If relaxation exercises fail then medicines are mainstay of treatment. SSRIs are used commonly for anxiety. Escitalopram, Sertraline, Citalopram etc are commonly used medicines for anxiety. The medicines help to control the symptoms and are safe to use. These medicines don't cause dependence so you can think of medicinal treatment too.

So please visit a psychiatrist and discuss about the management.

Thanks. Take care

You are welcome to ask follow up doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Sertraline

doctor1 MD

I am looking for a psychiatrist or neuro psychiatrist familiar with traumatic brain injury for my adult daughter . Her current psychiatrist has been basically missing/unavailable for two weeks with no answering service and a broken answering machine with no ability to leave a message. She currently takes Zoloft, Trazadone (sp) and neurotin. She needs a new prescription for Zoloft immediately. We need HELP ! Prefer a doctor in the Oakland/Berkeley/Montclair area.

doctor1 MD

Hi. Over the past month or so, any time I turn over to the other side in while in bed, my heart beats quickly, and I feel as though I just got finished running in a race; I have that exhausted feeling without the hard breathing. Also throughout the day, I have a shortness of breath and feel exhausted when doing anything like the laundry, making the bed, or cleaning. I have to sit down for about 10-15 minutes to rest. I also have GERD. I had an EKG, and that came back normal. I currently take 40 mg of Prilosec, and 100 mg of Zoloft. All of my bloodwork came back normal: WBC count RBC count, cholesterol, etc. I am scheduled to have a stress test, but I was wondering if it could be something else? Thank you!

doctor1 MD

I am a 42 yr old female, only have 1/10 th of a percent thyroid, I take synthroid and zoloft and have been on synthroid for approximate 22 yrs. I am now just in the past month experiencing shortness of breath, tightness in chest, dizziness, and increased pulse rate. What is happening to me?

doctor1 MD

I am a 57 year old female who has been experiencing extreme episodes of sweating lasting sometimes for a couple of hours. Hair dripping. Feel tired most of the time. Dr. just took me off Zoloft thinking that may be causing the extreme sweating. I had been on 100mg of Zoloft for about 13 years. I also take Wellbutrin XL 300. My A1C was 6.1. Doctor doesn't seemed concerned with A1C. I just don't know what can be causing such extreme sweating. Any ideas? Thanks, Marilyn

doctor1 MD

i have crirrocis quit drihking 2years but i have bad itching

doctor1 MD

Hi my name is XXXXXXX I take trazodone, gabapentin and duloxetine HCL DR, with oxycodon-acetaminophen7.5-325 witch I have to drug test for. I was just told my test came back showing I have taken lorazepam . this is not the first time for this...

doctor1 MD

I have anxiety attacks, fatigue and major depression , I am hot and cold, sick to stomach but no vomiting . Thyroid tests (THS, T3, T4) are normal. Zanax, Pretiq etc. have not helped. I need help.