Suggest treatment for persistent anxiety

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have always had an anxiety problem. Though throughout my life I've done a good job hiding it and fighting it. But I am 36 now and over the last 5 years or so things have been getting progressively worse. I am an Exec Chef with many responsibilities and much stress is in my life. Lately I have been having shaking episodes, I gag often, vision sometimes gets blurry, I can't keep a straight thought, and I've even been experiencing a fear of people in general. Plus my skin gets very clammy while my ears get red and warm. Like I said, I always have gone through these things but its getting harder to control and harder to hide.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Relaxation exercises and medicines are modality of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking fro healthcaremagic.com

I can understand your concern. First of all I'd like to tell you that there is nothing to hide about anxiety. Problems of anxiety are seen in a lot of individuals and most of successful people have anxiety issues.

The symptoms like shaking episodes, blurred vision, poor focus, fear etc suggest generalised anxiety but should be evaluated.

Base line investigations like haemogram, Thyroid function tests, ECG should be done to rule out medicinal causes. Hyperthyroidism sometimes leads to similar symptoms. ECG will rule out cardiac cause.

If these comes normal then you should consider consulting a psychiatrist. Since you have managed well with anxiety and are in good job so in my opinion you should first give try to relaxation exercises. Breathing exercises or Progressive muscle relaxation exercise can help to control the panic like episodes. PMR or progressive muscle relaxation can be learned from a good psychologist. You can learn the details from youtube too. With time you will learn to control anxiety by controlling your body. Practice is needed to get full relaxation.

If relaxation exercises fail then medicines are mainstay of treatment. SSRIs are used commonly for anxiety. Escitalopram, Sertraline, Citalopram etc are commonly used medicines for anxiety. The medicines help to control the symptoms and are safe to use. These medicines don't cause dependence so you can think of medicinal treatment too.

So please visit a psychiatrist and discuss about the management.

Thanks. Take care

You are welcome to ask follow up doubts.