Suggest treatment for persistent anxiety even after Mitrazapine usage

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been taking Mirtazapine tablets 30mg for 15 days now after changing from Seraline 50mg. I am sleeping better but still having Anxiety problems any advice. Should I GIVE THEM LONGER TO WORK
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to wait more

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

The persistence of anxiety symptoms may be due to two reasons in your case.

Firstly you may have withdrawal symptoms due to discontinuation of sertraline.

Secondly most of antidepressants including mirtazepine take around four or more weeks before having full effect.
So is advisable to hold for few more weeks before declaring that mirtazepine is a failure in your case. There is possibility of need to increase the dose of mirtazepine as the maximum dose is 45mg per day. But that should be ideally done after completion of four weeks.

Hope I answered your query. If you need to know more about it feel free to contact me. I will be happy to help you.

Thanks and Regards
Dr Ashok