• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent anxiety and depression

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, I am a 44 yr old female who has been experiencing anxiety and depression over the last month with it being quite bad in the last 2 weeks. I started wellbutrin 1.5 weeks ago. Two days ago, I forgot how to do something I know how to do and now I am terrified that I am getting early onset dementia. Could this lapse be from the medication or the anxiety and depression?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible adverse effect of Wellbutrin use.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Decreased memory is one of the possible adverse effects of Wellbutrin use, so, in your case, this is the most likely cause of your recent memory issues.

In addition, dementia is a very rare condition that may be encountered at your age.

So, don't worry about dementia and go on with your medication.

Your medication should be reevaluated if there are severe adverse effects or there is no control of your anxiety and depression.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 20 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, I wasn't forgetting a name or something like an appointment - I was forgetting how to use an appliance that I have done a thousand times. This is still considered normal? Could this type of thing happen with anxiety and depression too? I am afraid that this going to happen again.

Sorry, I meant to add that I thought what I experienced was more like confusion.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

That is impairment of memory and cognition too, and could be linked to Wellbutrin use as a side effect, or may be linked to anxiety.

It doesn't mean that you are developing dementia.

Hope I helped you.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical