Suggest treatment for persistent allergy and hypothyroidism

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have severe allergies here in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
I take levociterizine antihistamine
But doesn't help much at all....
They start in August and last for 4 Months until
THe end of November...I don't stop sniffing , throaty bothering,
Running nose it drives me crazy this non stop situation
What can I do please...
I also take hypertyroide medicine 20 mg in the morning 10 mg at night
Propranolol 10 in the morning and 10 mg at night
Clorazepan to sleep
I have a feeling that the allergies also trigger my thyroid not to function property
I start feeling bad ..sweating and very tired very low energy...
Thanks,
GN
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid / Allergies

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry to note your problems with the allergies.

It is important to regulate your thyroid too.

I see you are on some thyroid medication and propranolol.

Is the name of the thyroid medication Methimazole?

Moreover, if the propranolol was started for thyroid-related condition, it can be gradually stopped under close medical supervision of your doctor, ager the thyroid is controlled in a stable way.

Regarding the allergies, it would be worthwhile seeing an Allergy specialist doctor.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I order the following tests in addition to a thorough physical examination:

CBC
CMP
TSH
Free T4
HbA1c
25 hydroxy Vitamin D
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 11 hours later
Hi Doctor
Yes is methimazole....I feel
That because of my severe allergies I don't feel
Myself with the tyroides I feel allergies are not
Helping with the regulation of my tyroid...
I wonder if it has something to do with it
Also I was told by my Endocrinologist Doctor that they will eventually
Take me out of the propranolol....
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
I see.

I meant to type above that after controlling your thyroid properly the propranolol can be gradually tapered off.

It is unlikely the allergies are related to your thyroid or methimazole or propranolol.

Please consult with an Allergy/Immunology expert to determine the cause of your allergic symptoms